Thursday, June 14, 2007

Aging Thoughts

My good friend and roommate, Heather, reminded me that i am long overdue for a posting. She's right. So today, having just acquired my new Macbook Pro (hehehehe...) I've decided the time is right.

First of all... I have in my possession two Kansas City Royals tickets for the game in KC this Saturday night, with free parking tickets, seats behind home plate i'm told, and I am unable to attend... they're burning a hole in my pocket! If anyone has any ideas for me, don't hesitate to let me know.

Now... I'm turning twenty-three on Monday and I have to say this is the first birthday I can remember that I'm not looking forward to as much. Seems a bit early i know. It's not as though I've necessarily reached a quarter-life crisis or anything ridiculous yet, though I'm not exactly dancing with mindless glee at the thought of it. Come to think of it, It's not as though I'm not in an exciting time of life either with loads of things to look forward to in the coming months and years (heretofore please excuse the double negatives and phrases ending in prepositions). I don't know... maybe it's just the physical things. I can't seem to stomach spicey foods like I used to. Even too much deviation from my usual, healty, diet routine leaves things more uncomfortable than what used to be. My vision seems more inconsistent, sometimes blurry, taking longer to adjust in light, and I've always had impeccable vision. I'm growing more unsightly hair in various orifices and on surfaces, particularly my nose, neck, and back, then I ever have--OK, too much info.?, my apologies, I am trying to convey the source and depth of my aging angst. haha. Anyway, it's the things I can't control. The things that can only, inevitably, worsen with time. Granted, I will have to get over it eventually or I'm in for a potentially long, difficult series of deteriorations. And so, I will make every effort this year to remember the things to look foward to, as vague and indefinite as they may seem, the blessings I possess now as a healthy, twenty-three-year-old young man who is close to a family which dearly loves him, whose girlfriend of more than a year is about to return from a five-month stint in Australia, who is on the brink of a big move to Winfield/Chicago, an amazing opportunity at a distinguished graduate school, and the God-only-knows' to follow--not only 'knows' but 'controls'.

4 comments:

Heather Lea said...

Thank you for the post, my dear, dear friend. I'm watching for more soon. :)

Carissa Martin said...

Hey Levi! Chicago, huh? Joining the ranks among the northerners. Where are you going to school? Hope all is well, and enjoy 23- its not so bad, I'm right on the brink of 24, and can promise you, you'll enjoy it!

Unknown said...

Hi Levi,

Courtney just read your post out aloud so I felt inclined to say hi...hi LOL. Courtney will be back soon, I'll make sure she gets to the airport on time!

James

My blog

Sandy said...

Hi Levi--I loved hearing your aging angst. While is it true that you are aging, think about how wise you are becoming!! (like a good wine, you are getting better with time). Perhaps I better share some of your musings with soon-to-be 38 year old Dan, who bemoans his greying temples, crows-feet wrinkles, and receding hairline (but he is still so cute, I tell him!)

You may be pleased to hear a report from the Chicago/Winfield location, that the construction on your basement bedroom has finally begun this week. We are eager for your arrival with us (Joseph keeps asking every day: "Is Levi coming today?").