Monday, September 10, 2007

Occupational Endings

My last day of work was Friday. It's amazing the things that you don't expect to miss--the mundane, day-to-day details like the particular things that only I remembered about the regular customers. Bob always gets his ones broken into stacks of 20. Larry always gets balances. Ray always liked my blue and white, striped tie, he liked to ask random math and trivia questions too. Shirley always comes in on Wednesday mornings. Josh, 'lunch guy', always comes through the drive-through, eating his lunch, he calls me weird nick-names (slappy, shooter, etc.). Deb calls in her change orders every morning, first thing, and she never tells me who's calling when I answer the phone, just "hey." Ken is usually the first customer in the drive-through every morning, he only ever has deposits, he doesn't get a balance, and he always gets a dog bone for his dog Fred who's never with him. Anyway, you get the idea. These sort of things are what I'm going to miss. Not to mention the people I worked with. My last day, Larry bought me a cup of coffee, Deb bought my five power ball tickets (i didn't win), and our personal banker bought me a scarf, a pound of coffee, and everyone signed a card that plays the song "hit the road jack" when you open it. I was really touched, nearly emotional. It was weird to say goodbye and walk out the door. Fortunately, i have much to look forward to. I move to "the Windy City" (Chicago) on Friday!

2 comments:

Tanner Reed said...

Life's crazy man. But that's why I like high school girls...I get older, but they stay the same age!

James Flores said...

where's the windy city?