Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Running thoughts

It seems my greatest opportunities to think during the day happen while I run and today was no exception. I ran past what must have been a 6th or 7th-grade boys soccer practice and decided, for the first time, that I would like a be a soccer coach someday. Nothing serious, mind you, just for a YMCA league or something. It was funny to me though to think about because I had never considered it before. Previously, I had always been thinking about playing--never coaching. For whatever reason I consider this thought to be revolutionary in my maturity and development.

Furthermore... I have a confession or two. I'm almost hesitant to type this actually. Due to the influence of my childhood--yes I'm blaming my parents--there are a number of things in my life, my interests and abilities, that remain forever affected. First and perhaps most obviously: automobile know-how. In part due to my father (who would in fact admit it) I possess remarkably limited knowledge of cars. I can replace fluids and check levels, etc.--but if anything goes wrong I'm clueless and I'm forced to rely on the local car repair shop for just about the minutest of mishaps. Second, football. I enjoy football. I enjoy playing football. I enjoy watching football. I've never really been the obsessive, know-all-the-players, know-all-the-stats, remember-all-the-games/plays/seasons type of fan. I've kind of found myself intimidated, or worse, put off by conversations with people that are. But this year, for perhaps the first time, I'm legitimately excited for the rapidly approaching college football season! Maybe it's the influence of college roommates, or maybe I've just been worn down into submission with a football crazed society and a football crazed state. But for whatever reason, healthy or not, I am! ...Unfortunately,... now that I'm moving to Chicago in month, this will be my first fall season away from Nebraska, my friends and family with whom I would otherwise now be able to enjoy it all! Dangit! Oh well, perhaps it will become a means to acquiring other friendships... hmmm.

3 comments:

Carissa Martin said...

When Scott lived in Chicago, he found a bar that was all NE fans watching football games! If you miss the camaraderie... check http://www.huskeralum.com/events/radio_and_tv.htm to find a place to go!! :)

Melissa said...

haha - Levi, your blog is so great! Promise to keep writing in 'cago! Hope all is going well for you, and God's comfort to you as you prepare for your exciting move!! Take care, now!

Heather Lea said...

I'd like to think that your new-found desire for the football season is due to me, your former roommate. I did, if you recall, insist that johnny discussed players and teams with me for the better part of my last week there. Think hard, Levi....it'll come to you. You can thank me later.