Friday, May 2, 2008

'Four Minutes' of Non-Art

I want to take a moment to abuse this personal blog as a platform for opinions. Have you heard the recent Madonna/Justin Timberlake song, "Four Minutes" produced by Timbaland? It's awful. And, I feel as someone who has actually enjoyed certain, past, joint musical efforts by JT and Timbaland, I possess a legitimacy in the assertion. Besides possessing a nearly identical beat and song structure to past works, the song is completely devoid of lyrical substance or creativity. Granted, it's a song developed for the hip-hop/pop/dance genre. And, it is catchy--which is part of the point, I recognize. (Good luck getting it out of your head once you've heard it.) However, the line must be drawn somewhere. Even popular music should be held accountable to creative scrutiny at some level. There, I've said my peace. Back to the thesis.

1 comment:

Aaron D said...

ya - i don't get that one