Thursday, November 20, 2008

Getting Political... Hesitantly

It's time. I've avoided it for long enough. I'm ready.

Let me begin by saying that this is not an effort to convince anyone to join a side. Political affiliation is not the issue, per se. Rather it is the desire to consider Biblical truths as a pretext to taking stances on issues deemed political--knowing where I stand and how I should behave in a culture that is inherently political. The issues considered in the political arena are, more often then not, real and important issues before they are political ones adopted by one or more sides of a contest. Deciding what we believe and how we will respond to that belief are more important than determining which team is right or better.

For nearly a year in Chicago, I was confronted with a decidedly liberal, academic-political culture, the substance of which (you may be surprised to hear) was not all bad. (This is where Johnny feels vindicated in considering me a 'closet liberal.' Which I do not believe I am.) However, I feel particularly justified in deciding for myself where I will stand in the matters of politics--particularly as I pursue a field of political science. I have grown up especially conservative in a remarkably conservative state and culture. The opportunity to encounter something different was and is (I believe) a healthy thing. Now that I have returned to Nebraska, I realize that I am now changed for it.

The liberal left, often cited with disdain in these parts as though it were the embodiment of evil, has a lot to offer Christians and the morally conscious among us. No, all of the things considered among the list of the 'liberal platform' are not in agreement with what I believe to be Biblical and of sound moral repute. Consequently, I am still quite certain that conservatives have generally done well in their stances against issues like abortion and homosexuality--though how they have frequently handled and promoted such positions are questionable indeed. But I digress. Where they have missed the mark and where many Midwestern Christians have also fallen short (in my opinion) is their (and by 'their' I also mean 'my') Biblical consideration for where we should stand on many economic, social and international issues. In consideration of these issues I am motivated particularly by a repeated, New Testament exhortation to the Church, to assist those less fortunate than ourselves...

(In an effort to do justice to what I am about to address, I'm afraid I must go for now. I want the time to think and word this well. Where might I be going with this? I appreciate any thoughts so far.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You bring up a good beginning basis for a healthy argument. Neither platform is completely "right" from a moralistic standpoint. The Right takes hard stances on certain moral issues but not others. And the same goes for the Left. That seems leaves the option that one needs to choose which issues are most important to support with a vote. In the end a vote is a vote, and where most Christians make the mistake (in my opinion) is that they ONLY speak with their vote. They may cry out against abortion and homosexuality and support a candidate accordingly, but never take personal action to make a real change. They only speak at the voting booth. We forget that the battle we are fighting is against a spiritual enemy, not the Left.
However, that being said, I do think that there are issues that represent more depravity than others and I can't bring myself to vote in that direction. Or support people who would consider such depravity OK.
I'm interested to see what "moderate" Levi has to say about this. Until proven otherwise, I may have to agree with the "closet Liberal" assessment:)

Unknown said...

Yes, please do...I would love to listen :)

Sandy Kruse said...

Levi--I love hearing your thoughts on such important issues! It is so refreshing to hear the beginnings of your thoughtful reflections on such topics. I also feel as though I straddle the fence between being a "liberal conservative" or a "conservative liberal"--as neither side adequately address my concerns about pro-life and pro-Biblical sexuality along with concerns about poverty, racial and economic inequality. The economic and social issues of our time are critical, and thus must require critical thinking and meaningful action. Your friend, Tate, aptly argues that Christian perspectives need to be heard beyond the voting booth. I couldn't agree more. That is why in the past few years, I have appreciated the perspectives of Sojourners (www.sojo.net)--which provides contemporary Christian commentary on faith, politics and social issues. I don't necesarily agree with all their perspectives, but at least they are a group of Christians who are thoughtfully engaging with our culture, beyond only the 1-2 issues that Christians typically speak out on. Take care, Sandy

Amber said...

I wish I could have seen you to the other night. :( We will definitely get together before I leave. ...and, you need to start posting again so I will be able to keep up on your life!