Friday, November 30, 2007

Inconvenient Addictions

So, somehow in the last week I managed to discover Season 1 of "24" in my aunt and uncle's stash and I am now addicted. Classes are done but for two fairly involved final research projects due at the end of next week--so suffice it to say, this is bad timing. I started watching it on Tue. night and I'm about 2/3 through the season already. With any luck, I'll just finish the season before the weekend's out and I'll be forced to spend more time on my papers. Not that I've been a complete slacker or anything--just maybe a bit more distracted than I should.

For one of my papers (for my Media in the Middle East class) I'm analyzing "Paradise Now," an independent, Palestinian film that came out in 2005 (I believe) that follows two young men in the West Bank through the 48 hours leading up to their role in a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. It's intense but extremely well done, it doesn't condone violence or anything like that. You can get it at any Blockbuster. I would highly recommend it. My interest in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is growing in light of my recent courses and I will most likely be taking a history course on the Arab-Israeli conflict next quarter. I can't wait!

P.S. I'll be home in just over 1 week! Yay!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

My brother made me watch season one with him over a christmas break when it first came out on DVD. I understand your inability to break away. But it's only, like, 21 hours worth, really... when you include the time for commercials. ha! :)
God bless your final week of the quarter! I'm sure you're doing really great. Are you coming to Lincoln at all over your break? Hope so!

Unknown said...

ooooh, i am muy jealous of you and your coursework...what cool classes. i will try and pick up that flick sometime.

happy holidays levi!

Aaron D said...

Oh man ... makes me carsick just thinking of 24. I watched 13 consecutive episodes on a trip to Wisconsin and I nearly lost my lunch. And yet I still find him strangely attractive... Kind of like how you don't mind the smell of your own flatulence. Kind of like that. Jack Bauer, you are my gas.