Friday, February 8, 2008

UChicago

I finally joined the digital age, thanks to Christmas and my parents. These are a few pictures from the southern side of the University of Chicago campus--the side I tend to use mostly. More of the rest will come soon. I had about 20 minutes to kill before my bus left for home yesterday so I thought I'd take a few. You'll quickly notice it looks much colder than the cozy 65 degrees that a certain other blogger might be experiencing this time of year--I won't mention any names, you know who you are... (ahem, Tanner!).

This first one is a statue that stands on the south side of Harper Library--the "Harry Potter Library" as some refer to it. It's the old one. Most people use Regenstein for which i don't have pictures yet. Below is the Ice Skating Rink that sits in the middle of the Midway Plaissance on the south side of campus. I've heard it's only $2 to skate there! I haven't done that yet myself yet. Maybe when it's warmer.

Below is the famous Rockefeller Chapel. There's a big bell tower just behind but it's kind of unsightly with all of the scaffolding that's been covering it all year. You can kind of see the top corner of it from this view.


The right building in the picture above is the music school. Apparently anyone can check out piano rooms there. I've been meaning to do that. I had a class in the building on the left. I can't remember the name right now. Anyway, check out the sweet old doors. A lot of them are like that. Below are a few shots of the quad or near it.





Above, is the Divinity School from the side, there's a cemented, circular bench just in the foreground if you can see it. I have a class here and I eat Lebanese and other Mediterranean foods here for lunch all the time (mmmm... salmon kabobs!). These two pictures below are of my building, Pick Hall. It's the odd, non-gothic building on the corner. By "my" I mean this is where the Committee on International Relations (CIR) office and lounge remains on the third floor. I also have some classes here.


Anyway, I figure this is a good start. I hope you find this interesting. I'm sure there'll be more to come. If it's not too vain, (though I guess it's my blog so it may be appropriate--or at least appropriately vain), I'm contemplating doing a "day in the life" photo exposition, following a typical day of mine from early morning train rides, scary South Side "El" and bus tours, to the enlightening halls of the University and classic academia. Thoughts? I'm sure you'll all be captivated, haha. Cheers!

3 comments:

Tanner Reed said...

Wow, that looks like a sweet campus! I'd be interested in "a day in the life of" expose...I need some pre bedtime material :) J/k, I think it'd be good.

Unknown said...

levi! guess what! i get to come see you next week!

yippee! :)

jess&mich said...

Levi, how's the weather there? It's practically bone chilling over here. Are you getting out to run much these days? Please say yes! I need to hear at least one of us is braving the bitter cold. Come see us sometime. I know Jesse would love it.

-m.