Sunday, June 29, 2008

Even Better News!

The phone calls have been made, family and friends contacted in various ways as best as possible, and now perhaps it is safe to notify the blogosphere... I'm engaged! I asked Courtney to marry me on June 14th, a Saturday, the day after my graduation. I prepared a picnic for us at a local park late that morning. It was her 22nd birthday the Tuesday before, so I gave her a few gifts to throw her off a bit, should she be expecting anything. We then enjoyed conversation and a light lunch for the better part of an hour-and-a-half as people occasionally passed. I wanted to enjoy the moment and not rush anything... also, I didn't really want an audience If I could avoid it. So I waited. When a moment seemed to present itself, no people passing by, I told her that before we go I wanted to give her a journal since I hadn't given her a card for her birthday. In it, I had written something from before we had even started dating. It was somewhat poetical and about who I wanted to be and the kind of girl I wanted to be with. She read it, I told her that she was the girl I wrote about in the journal, and I asked her to stand. Then it began to feel surreal. I got nervous. I stood with her and told her I loved her for the first time before grabbing the ring from my bag by my side and kneeling to ask her to marry me. She said yes! We kissed and laughed at the thought of what had just happened.

Arriving back at my aunt and uncle's home where I had been living, my family greeted us with Champagne and dessert. That afternoon we went off to enjoy wine tasting at a nearby winery and a play in Chicago that evening before some friends from the University met us at Jimmy's Bar near campus for a few drinks. It was an amazing and exhausting but completely wonderful day!

The next morning we packed up everything and moved me back to Nebraska. I'm home now, between Norfolk and Lincoln, wedding planning, job hunting, and enjoying family and my engagement. Life is very exciting (and sometimes scary, haha) right now. Praise God for moments in life like these!

3 comments:

Tanner Reed said...

What?! You guys kissed before you're married? I'm very disappointed in you two... :)

the Ecclestons said...

AH!!! CONGRATS! We are thrilled for you! We can't wait to get to chat with you all about it!

Mark & Katie said...

Congratulations!! I heard about your engagement through Tim & Shelley and then hadn't checked your blog in a while. You two are very cute....I'm assuming from what I've heard that Courtney is a fabulous woman. Would love to run into you two sometime now that you're back in Nebraska. We're still in Omaha. Congrats, again!!

-katie smith (aka katie wright)